[ale] this week's WTF

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 14 15:03:43 EST 2010

Don't think it is a virus problem.  I can save other .doc files as .odt
files with no problem.  It is as if this particular file has some sort of
meta data that is screwing up the works. Cups can't process it for the
printer and I can't change the file format to .odt, or pdf, or any other
Micro$oft format.

I have no clue how to read the meta data on Word files. It is possible that
my wife's Mac has become infected, but that seems unlikely, unless she
contracted the bug through Emory.  Then again I haven't heard of any virii
that just screw around with Word files.

I was able, finally, to Save As an html document and then open and save
that as an .odt file.

But it would be nice to know how to isolate the actual problem.

Sean