[ale] this week's WTF

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at speakeasy.net
Tue Dec 14 13:06:31 EST 2010

Wife has problem printing a two-page Word file (.doc). File contains
nothing unusual: no tables, links, etc.
File hangs while spooling to the printer queue and never gets sent out to
the networked printer.

She sends me the file via email and I open it in OO (3.2) on a FC13 OS.
I fix the permissions problem and send it off to the printer.
Same thing happens.  the file hangs getting to the printer queue on the box
and never gets to the printer.  Or at least I give up waiting and kill it
after 5 minutes.
Then I try and SaveAS an  .odt format.

And I get this message:

Error: saving the document <filename>:
This operation is not supported on this operating system.

WTF?

Clues and insights would be appreciated.

Sean