[ale] ReplicatorG On a Stick!

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 14:44:37 EST 2010

On 12/9/10, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh!  You can run ReplicatorG on a stick!
>
> I've been experimenting with 3d printing lately.  The software which
> controls Cyndi, my "cupcake" CNC machine, requires very up-to-date
> versions of python and java.  The developers test it solely on Ubuntu
> Maverick Meerkat ( 10.10), the very latest 'n' greatest.  But I have
> found that it will run just fine on Puppy Linux 5.11, which is based
> on Lucid Lynx ( Ubuntu's LTS version 10.4) .  This lets you run the
> software without installing or updating anything -- just boot your USB
> media and start printin'!

Did you try this with Ubuntu?  The standard install disk for Meerkat
doubles as a live CD.  Use usb-creator to install it on a 1 Gig drive
and assign yourself the remaining space for changes.  Now boot the
drive and install whatever else you need.  That sounds like it would
work.

I looked at RepRap a while ago, and it looks to me like it has
resoltion around the 1mm or 1/10 inch range.  It didn't seem like you
could build to really tight tolerances.   Is the cupcake any better?

Michael