[ale] Value SSDs - price/perf

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Wed Dec 8 19:11:55 EST 2010

On 12/08/2010 06:04 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I'm thinking of going SSD in our servers.  Is that a bad idea?
>
> 40GB is _MORE_ than I'll ever need for our software.
>
> We run a ton of perl and mysql.  The MySQL transactions are very low.
> I think my largest database may be 250MB in size and it is 5 years old.
>
> I'm looking at SSD as something that may be more reliable.  Out of all
> the servers we've deployed we've had an unusual number of failures.  A
> majority of failures took place after FedEx had handled the servers.
> So much so,  that our vendor (MBX) started shipping us the drives in
> bubble wrap in separate boxes.
>
> Chris

What are you doing with the database?  Is it mostly a read-oriented
environment?  How much RAM do you have?

At work, we run our CMS system (Drupal) from a DB server with 32GB RAM.
That's enough for the entirety of our DBs to be in the disk cache, plus
all of the index/query caching on MySQL.  PHP overhead far exceeds DB
hits.  (Even running APC for opcode cache).  Writes are to a
battery-backed RAID controller, so we run in write-back mode, which
makes writes comparatively fast.

In other words, your workload determines whether or not SSD gives a
performance gain.  We haven't tried SSD at work, but I would be
genuinely surprised if it gave us a boost.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
Ubuntu Community Member