[ale] Truly remote desktop aka terminal services client/server in Linux, Does it exist ?

Ryan Marshall rymarshall at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 14:28:56 EDT 2010

> I would highly recommend nomachine http://www.nomachine.com .
> It is a commercial package, but is free for up to two users per device.
> Uses ssh and the display is fast and looks like you are at the console.
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

I'd suggest you take a look at neatx.  It's a Google sponsored OSS
version of an nx server that I've found to work better than freenx.
The install can be a little hairy and i had to put a small script
together to manually kill hung sessions, but it still uses the
nomachine client.

And it's superior to VNC because it runs completely though SSH.  No
need to rely on VNC authentication or open port 5900 in the firewall.
If you can SSH to a machine, you can open an nx session to it.