[ale] OpenVPN test

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Aug 26 16:42:54 EDT 2010

I'm confused about udp vs tcp and how it behaves with NAT.  The OpenVPN
server is on a public network with a public IP.  The workstation is
WindowsXP in VirtualBox double natted (host, and my firewall).  When I
use UDP  I execute this command on the Windows host

route add 10.0.9.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.0.9.229

I can _not_ ping 10.0.9.1.  If I use protocol TCP I can ping 10.0.9.1.
So does the proto UDP only work if both hosts have a real address and
not a private one behind a NAT box?

I estimates that 99% the server and the client will both be behind
firewalls and on private networks.