[ale] disk i/o at 1,000 MB / sec, woohoo!

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Aug 25 12:49:41 EDT 2010

FYI:  On the Dell integrated RAID controllers (PERC and SAS) they
usually have an initialization option that lets you low level format the
drives from the controllers instead of having to dd to the whole RAID
set.   Slower to do each I'm sure but it gives me more of a comfort
factor to blow away the RAID set and initialize the individual drives.

Interestingly I found with the RHEL5 boot CD if you go into Rescue Mode
then "Skip" the attempted mount of Linux partition (as /mnt/sysimage)
you'll drop to the command line and can mount manually, redo partitions
and/or dd to your heart's content.   We just retired our last RH 7.3 and
RH 9 servers last week that had no RAID controllers.   I also blew away
some other systems the Dell PERC controllers.