[ale] Android Tablets

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Aug 23 10:20:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 10:00 -0400, William Fragakis wrote:
> Of course, a shop is going to charge you for reading the error codes.
> They have to use an expensive device

Everyone one here should have an OBD II scanner.  I picked mine up at
O'Reilly Auto Parts for $60.  I've used it numerous times on my cars and
others.

The best part is that it make fixing your problems easier.  Once you get
a code you then can look it up on the Internet.  You can also use
google.  If you have a Mazed and are getting a PO0104 (made up) then
search google with 'PO0104 + Mazada'.  You'll usually find a thread with
suggestions on how to fix that problem.

My VW Jetta was notorious for throwing codes so I used this device once
per month.  The Jetta's made in Mexico are crap!  I don't own it
anymore.

On my Kia I had a problem and used the reader.  I called my mechanic and
gave him the code over the phone.  I did this while on a trip.  There
was no panicking needed due to a light that provides no useful info.  I
had the tool required to see what was going on.  This happened 500 miles
from home.

The problem with the CIL is that it was designed to motivate you to
drive to the dealer because there is no real feedback from the computer.
It is a scare tactic designed by the government and manufacturers.  The
OBD system was originally designed to assist in providing the lowest
emissions possible but it has grown to include everything imaginable on
a car.  Believe it or not, you can buy O2 sensor emulators to trick your
car into thinking that emissions are within spec.  This is to allow you
to pass inspection with high performance systems that could be dirtier
than what your computer would allow.  In GA newer cars do not go through
a real inspection.  They simply read your OBD II system and if your car
is "ready" and there are no codes you get the green light and can
register your car for another year!

My VW has taught me a lot about this crap.