[ale] Why I run emacs

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 13:17:39 EDT 2010

You used 2 sets of parens in the reply. Thus you are well on your way to use
LIthP :-)

command mode in vi allows usefully toys like split my window to open another
file which I can grab a few lines from using visual mode and then past into
my other window. Or barring that, just use the second window so I can recall
what the fsking string was I used for that *&%&^%ing id tag in the first
included appendix file of the docbook file...

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Michael B. Trausch <mike at trausch.us>wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 11:13 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > this why I use vi.....
>
> I just don't use any of the "toys" in Emacs.  I use an *awful* lot of
> the functionality, though.
>
> Honestly, I would be *truly* happy if there were an editor like Emacs
> that was always in input mode (command mode in vi is evil, especially on
> low bandwidth, high latency links where you can't keep track of what
> fscking mode you're in), but was extended using Python instead of LISP.
> Seriously.
>
> It seems that a variant of Emacs built around Python would be ideal for
> today's world, actually.  Nobody sane learns LISP.  Nearly everyone
> either knows or can write in Python if they know another language and
> with not terribly much effort---I'm not saying that Python is simple,
> but it is relatively easy because of the quick turn around between
> saving and running.  I'm by no means a Python wizard, but I can get
> stuff done in it if I have to.  LISP?  Pppft.  I guess I'm just not a
> real man... Anything more complex than a single-command one-liner is
> over my head in LISP.  I have (mostly) written my .emacs by hand,
> myself, from what I have learned, but I don't write functions in it...
>
>        --- Mike

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.