[ale] looking for a good C++ book for an experienced C programmer.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 18 13:02:49 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 12:48 -0400, Chris Fowler wrote:
> One thing that would be cool is a book on how to do things in C++ that
> you would do in C.
>
> For example, I still use stdio.h in C++ when I could be using iostream
> but I know so much about stdio.

Well, you should "#include <cstdio>" unless you have a really old C++
compiler, but whatever... :-)

C++'s standard library *is* rather nice.  You can do all sorts of things
with streams and files and strings even that are just plain natural
feeling.  That said, I have the same gripe about C++ as I do about C:
there's an awful lot of repetition because you have to create header
files yourself.  It would seem logical that something as powerful as
today's C compilers could use decorations on
structures/functions/classes/methods/typedefs/whatever to build
the .h/.hxx file for you...

	--- Mike