[ale] looking for a good C++ book for an experienced C programmer.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 18 12:12:35 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 12:08 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Subject says it all.  Anyone have one they really like?

It's a bit expensive, but it can be used by both programmer novices and
advanced programmers alike:  Deitel & Associates, C++ How to Program.
The current version of the book is the 7th edition.

I've read their C++ and Java books.  I liked them both a lot because
they don't just show you the bare essentials---and the books are written
such that you can very easily skip what you don't want to learn and come
back to it later, should that interest you at all.  As I said, it's a
bit expensive at around $100, but it is, IMHO, well worth it.

Do keep in mind that they show everything off using Visual C++ or so,
but you can easily work though the book using GCC.

	--- Mike