[ale] Select()

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 16 15:23:31 EDT 2010

I'm taking a long overdue plunge back into linux C programming.  While
reading the man page for select(), I came across a line that has me a
bit confused.

http://linux.die.net/man/2/select

"nfds is the highest-numbered file descriptor in any of the three sets,
plus 1."

What exactly are they referring to? What is highest-numbered file
descriptor?  Are they referring to integer value stored in the file
descriptor? Perhaps it's the number of file descriptors added to the
set?  It's not very clear to me.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks