[ale] Losing Ubuntu

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sun Aug 15 11:52:05 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-08-15 at 01:50 -0400, Joshua Roberts wrote:
> Well, I have installed Debian with Lxde.  I like the openbox desktop.
> But here begins the work.  I may need to reinstall to make my life
> easier.  I chose to not allow root login on this machine.

You still have root access, IIRC (I have never dissallowed root logon my
desktop, what's the point?) you just need to su to root then run
"visudo"

add a line that says this:

$USERNAME   ALL=(ALL)   ALL

substitute your username for $USERNAME.  visudo takes the same commands
as vi.  Save, log out, log in, test with sudo ifconfig

> It also seems that I, joshua the user, am not allowed to access the
> sudo command.  I am not in the sudoers file.  First I have seen that.
> From what I have read I am going to need to boot into a live CD and
> edit the file.  Or I can do a minimal boot into /bin/sh and then mount
> some stuff that I need to edit the file.  Either way it seems like it
> is going to be some work.
>
> Does anyone have any tips about how to best accomplish this task of
> giving myself sudo access without a huge headache.  Maybe I am just
> really tired because the instructions for the sudo file look really
> confusing.  Even worse than Xorg or Xranr.  Anyway, I am giong to bed.
> I will fight with it some more another day.  Until then I will have to
> live with what I have since I cannot install anything else.
>
> Yeah for me.  I managed to F up my first real linux install.  ( After
> this experience I do not really count Ubuntu as a serious linux
> install.)

my first Debian install (potato?) took me 30 days to get X up an
running.  You are doing fine (and Linux is getting exponentially better
and easier to configure).