[ale] Losing Ubuntu

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 16:42:50 EDT 2010

I have used both, back and forth, on my desktops at home and work for years.

In short:

Ubuntu offers better software integration out-of-the-box(/package).
Different pieces of software Just Work, with each other and with
non-Ubuntu hardware and software, more often and with less effort.

Debian offers more continuously updated packages, with a reasonable
level of stability, with the moving targets of "testing" and
"unstable". You can choose your level of cutting-edge-ness.

To be specific, Ubuntu releases are slightly more stable than Debian
Testing, which is itself slightly more stable than Debian Unstable.
Ubuntu+1, in beta form even one day before a release, is often less
stable than Debian Experimental, which is FAR less stable than Debian
Unstable.