[ale] Losing Ubuntu

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Fri Aug 13 13:07:43 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:16 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> let the flame war begin!
>
> Ubuntu is to Debian as RHEL is to Fedora (except RHEL works)

not Exactly:  Debian works also, but is tailored to a server OS, hence
years between releases: Stable means Stable.  Ubuntu takes a snapshot of
Sid (unstable), then tweaks kernel mods and perhaps takes upstream
versions of problematic applications.  You can easily run Sid as a
desktop and be on the leading edge or you can run Stable and be on the
"Stale" but stable, known issues edge.  I would not run testing as
nobody cares if testing breaks as it is what it's name implies (with the
exception being after a freeze when testing becomes more stable and bugs
are worked out of it to ready it for release).

What Ubuntu can do, Sid does also.  What Fedora can do RHEL may or may
not be able to do (but CentOS can do if you add third party repos).

IF you do run Sid (Unstable refers to packages both versions and actual
programs being changed, deleted, updated, modified, etc, not to the way
in which it runs:  ie, unstable does not mean kernel oops or system lock
ups, but those could happen due to not fully tested packages causing
issues) you will need to apt-get install apt-listbugs.  With that
installed, everytime you do an update or an install of packages, it will
check for and list all known bugs.  READ that output.  READ that output.
READ that output.  Once I did not and there was an issue with PAM.
Result:  Unusable system and I had to wait three weeks before I could
re-install and fix the problem.