[ale] All Mail Folder

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 21:13:42 EDT 2010

Can someone tell me what would happen if I delete the "All Mail" folder
under[Gmail} in my folder list in Thunderbird? I originally started with
folders for different lists and groups under my Local Folders using
filters on my Thunderbird Inbox to move the incoming messages into their
respective folders. I started to notice that at some point possibly
around 3.1 (T'Bird) using the Unified Folder View a folder called
Archives and All Mail was a sub-folder from there. I also started
getting indicators for unread mail in that folder which essentially was
a duplicate of the messages that my filters had sorted, but were all in
order of receipt not by gmail labels. I did not want to have to either
click through all of the messages there to get to the sorted folders or
right clicking to mark folder as read everytime. No changes to property
values would change this behavior.

So I then went and disabled all of the T'Bird filters, went to gmail and
created the labels to resemble my Local Folders hierarchy as well as the
necessary filters to sort all inbox mail accordingly. Well it still
makes me go through [Gmail]All Mail on new messages and the "folders" do
not indicate any unread messages. Since it's a synchronised copy of
what's on the gmail server if I were to delete the folder would it just
get recreated or would all my mail on the server get deleted or will it
give me the behavior that I'm looking for? Sorry for the loaded
question. This is why I asked for suggestions on setting up for IMAP.
I've got the account part ok, simple, but now I want to be able to click
on the "Read Next Unread Message" button and it'll go to my ALE folder
and go through the messages, or to my dmcrypt folder if I'm following a
thread otherwise just right click to mark "folder read".