[ale] SpiderOak for syncing data between home and office

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 16:36:32 EDT 2010

All,

I've been testing SpiderOak (offsite storage) for syncing a personal
directory between work and home recently.

It's free for up to 2 GB and seems to work well.

I have 3 PCs setup to sync one directory via SpiderOak.  (2 Linux, one
XP  (the wife's))

It seems to work well and has a nice GUI interface.  One small issue
is it only allows one SpiderOak account per home directory because all
the account info is stored in ~/.SpiderOak.

I haven't tried, but I assume I could rename that between personal and
business and support a personal account and business account out of
one home directory.  I don't need that for now, so I'll let others
worry about that.

(If you need more than 2GB, its $0.10/GB I think.  That's a pretty
competitive cost I think, but I haven't done a recent survey of
offsite storage costs.)

Greg