[ale] HP P2035 printer won't on Mandriva 2010.0

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Tue Aug 10 12:38:23 EDT 2010

My old HP printer had the nerve to die after only 17 years.

I'm unable to get my new HP LaserJet P2035 printer (via parallel port)
to work on Mandriva 2010.0.  (Btw, avoid this version of Mandriva like
the plague!)

First, the printer install CD says one must install a driver on Linux
but it refuses to install demanding I first install "python-devel".
Unfortunately, there is no such RPM found using Mandriva's GUI install
tool.  I've installed anything remotely related and still get the error.

Also, when I use the browser interface to CUPS (http://localhost:631)
and try things such as clicking on maintenance "clean print heads" (just
to see if I can talk to the printer), I get an error complaining about
can't run "application/vnd.cups" or something very similar.

When I first plugged in the printer, on restarting cups each time it
would spit out a page that had been queued from when the old printer
died.  The printer's self-test buttin spits out its test page.

I'm at the end of my rope here and I'm week on multimedia and printing,
being a "server guy".

Any help gratefully accepted.  I'll even throw in a free sightseeing
flight around Atlanta for the first one to solve the problem.

If converting the printer connection to USB would help, I can do that.

THANKS!

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]
Quality spam and virus filters.

them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where
the shadows lie...and the Eye is everwatching"
-- The Silicon Valley Tarot Henrique Holschuh with ... by Bob