[ale] Linux without any of the XUBUNTU, GNOME, KUBUTNU but simple window manager

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Tue Aug 10 12:23:45 EDT 2010

  I've set up a few machines of this caliber with Gentoo/XFCE.  KDE or
Gnome with <1GiB RAM is a bit painful even with Gentoo (although you can
eat into that pain by paying extra attention to making your swapping
faster).

See
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml?catid=desktop

Warning:  this will take quite a while to build and make current.
Distcc and ccache can help:  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml.
Because your target is a PIII, any i686 from Pentium Pro on up will do
as distcc nodes.

- Jeff