[ale] interesting yet annoying problem

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Aug 9 21:06:20 EDT 2010

On 07/06/2010 06:41 PM, Asher Vilensky wrote:
> My wife (a computer illiterate)  uses her Inspiron Mini with Ubuntu 10.04 on
> it from a public place.  If she chooses to hibernate (the computer, that is)
> or suspend or she just closes the lid, when she resumes the little wireless
> icon is gone from the top bar.  I can't figure how to restore it, other than
> reboot.  (I tried with my account to ifdown/ifup the interface, but with no
> success.  I did notice that when the icon was gone the IP was really strange
> - 10.42.something.something.  After reboot it had the expected 192.168.1.*.
> I think, but don't wanna put money on it yet, that when we use it from the
> house, it always picks up where left off with the right network connection.
> Due to some situation not to be specified here, I can't take the computer
> for testing at home.)
>
> Anybody observed this and found how to renew the wireless connection upon
> resumption?  The answer "must" be for the novice user.  I'm not gonna bother
> her with terminal sudo stuff.

Going through some old emails I'd starred, I hope this is still useful...

Is the wireless interface still working after resuming from hibernate?
By that I mean can you scan for networks with iwlist? Can you join one
with iwconfig? If not, is there anything about it in the output of dmesg?

I would verify that before looking at networkmanager (the little
wireless icon in the top bar). The process name is nm-applet. You can
see what it's up to in Ubuntu in /var/log/daemon.log

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts