[ale] Abraxis and net2Atlanta

Ken Price lists at nettwrek.com
Mon Aug 9 15:18:05 EDT 2010

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 10:18:08 -0400, Charles Shapiro
<hooterpincher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just an update. I phoned Abraxis and they assured me that Milt was
> legit.  This morning I switched my DSL modem over and I'm now a
> Net2Atlanta customer.

Yeah, he's legit.  I hope you have good experiences with Net2Atlanta.
I have no experience with their services other than touring their
"Marietta NOC" a few years ago when looking for a colo facility in the
Marietta area.  I feel obligated to share.

If applied to a home basement, I'd describe it as a sysadmin's wet
dream.  It's simply nowhere I'd trust my equipment.  It's a rather
ghetto three? bedroom, one story house.  First you walk up to the front
door and there were rusted motherboards and computer parts strewn all
over the porch.  You walk into the "living room" which is setup as mixed
work/office space.  It literally looks like a computer junk yard, with
4-5 foot stacks of crap everywhere.  You then enter the "datacenter"
which at the time was a myriad of telco racks bolted to hardwood floors
in two of the bedrooms.  Climate control is handled by regular
residential window A/C units and it felt musty and >85 degrees.  It was
so warm, the the back door was propped open allowing all the dust and
pollen of the Georgia spring to flow into the house.  If you look at the
street view at the address below, you can see all the crap on the side.
I wish resolution was better to see the rest.  My CTO and I left so fast
we nearly peeled rubber.

Check out the house on Google Maps (address verified on the Net2Atlanta
website):
1546 Rosewood Circle Marietta, GA 30067

As far as bandwidth goes, they supposedly have redundant fiber.  Like I
said, it's a sysadmin's wet dream if it was in his/her basement.  While
they seem to have expanded a bit in the last three years by partnering
with another datacenter?? on the east side, and reselling some Telx
space, it still seems to be a 2-3 man operation.

I believe most residential services go through this facility.  They
have two small natural gas generators on the side in case of power
failure, but I'd be more worried of a tree falling on the house, it
catching fire, or a local hoodlum learning what's inside.

-Ken