[ale] Fedora 13 DNS weirdness

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 11:39:15 EDT 2010

'service nscd restart' is required when manually changing or resetting the
name services supply. Once nscd is restarted on the new network, it should
float happily between the two known networks seamlessly.

if not: summit a bug as it should auto-update from a change in
networkmanager _especially_ from the wireless portion.

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Joe Knapka <jknapka at kneuro.net> wrote:

> I've already ditched F13 and am installing Slackware on my old Dell D600
> laptop, but I wanted to find out if anyone can explain the following
> totally psychotic behavior I experienced under F13:
>
> I set up the laptop's wifi connection on my home network using Network
> Manager (gag,spit) and everything worked fine (?!?).
>
> I went to my SO's house, configured the wifi connection for her network,
> and it connected with no problem.  I could ping the router and the
> upstream gateway by IP or by name.  I could ping things out in the world
> by name:
>
>   jk at jaklaptop:> ping google.com
> <successful ping responses from an actual Google IP>
>
> However, other applications that I tried (FireFox, telnet, ssh) did this
> (or in FF's case gave me the equivalent "I can't do that" page):
>
>   jk at jaklaptop:> telnet google.com 80
>   Host google.com not found - Name or service unknown.
>
> Weirdly, dig and nslookup had no problem resolving google.com (or any
> other name). But any app that I actually wanted to USE for any practical
> purpose complained about name lookup errors, as in the telnet example
> above.
>
> I checked everything in Network Manager and the two networks were
> configured identically. I looked at /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/host.conf,
> /etc/nsswitch.conf and everything looked totally OK -- the machine was
> using the correct router and DNS server for my SO's network. I ran
> tcpdump on UDP port 53 while doing a ping and a telnet, and I saw
> successful DNS requests for google.com in both cases.... but telnet
> still complained about "Name or service unknown". I thought maybe it was
> something to do with SELinux, so I disabled that, but no joy.
>
> Then when I got home the laptop connected to my home network and
> everything worked fine again.
>
> I am still at the "WTF?" stage and am not really progressing... hence
> the switch to Slackware.  Any ideas what might have been happening here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -- JK

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.