[ale] Linux Router/Gateway Usage

David Ritchie deritchie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 12:42:25 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Richard Faulkner <rfaulkner at 34thprs.org> wrote:
> Vyatta is the direction that I'm going for this solution.  ClearOS maybe
> something I look at too for soots-n-grins but Vyatta is really what I'm
> interested in.  I know it has a far larger footprint than other solutions
> but it's using gear that I already have or have gotten for free...besides I
> have a ton of space in my rack downstairs so space is not an issue for me.
>
> Rich in Lilburn

The biggest problem is that power is expensive, especially if you have
the gateway up 24x365. Let's say that a PC used as a gateway uses 250
W (which is probably low). That would translate to 8760  x .250 = 2190
KwH per year. Ed Nisley of Circuit Cellar  uses a estimate of
$2/watt/year
($500 dollars in this case) to compensate for the cost of air
conditioning to pull heat back out. I come up with a slightly lower
figure based on a calculation of 8760 hours/year x 0.25 Kw x 0.13
dollars/KwH (based on my last bill) x 1.5 (upcharge to pay cost of
additional air conditioning caused by running the PC) which comes to
427.05/year to run one PC 24x365 (and this doesn't count
a monitor either - CRT monitors are power hogs also)...

Suddenly, the $100 PogoPlug looks like quite the bargain for a gateway...

But if you really want to use a PC, may I suggest that you use
something like a ITX motherboard with a much smaller energy footprint?
or an old laptop with a PCMCIA network card? Fry's has Kill-A-Watt
meters regularly on sale for $20 - you might be shocked how much
various appliances use even when 'off'.

Best regards,
Dave Ritchie