[ale] Putty

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 00:53:06 EDT 2010

So 32 bit XP putty v.6 pukes when connecting to 64 bit Centos.

The 32/64 bit nature is not passed by ssh so that's not the issue.

You need to turn up the verbosity (a lot) and see what is failing during the
connection process.

It never hurts to do the uninstall, reboot, install, reboot on the XP system
either. Also check the XP firewall to make sure it allows ssh connections
outbound at least.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Terry Bailey <terry at bitlinx.com> wrote:

> I think you may be right about no 64 bit for Windows.  I am using
> Windows XP and I upgraded to Putty version .0.6 and it still gives a
> network error when I try to SSH into 64 bit CentOS.  Does anyone have
> a recommendation?  What about Tunnelier?
>

> At 12:10 PM 8/3/2010, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 10:51 -0400, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> > > No - I go into a 64 bit CentOS and 64 bit RHEL5 (CentOS is built from
> > > RHEL sources) all the time with PuTTY 0.60.
> > >
> > > I have seen issues with older versions of PuTTY especially when we've
> > > set the account to force a password change on first login.
> >
> >I like PuTTY and all, but I only use it on Windows, and then only when I
> >don't have Cygwin, mintty, and OpenSSH.  I don't think that there is a
> >64-bit version of it for Windows, but it runs just fine in the WoW64
> >subsystem.
> >
> >         --- Mike

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.