[ale] OT: ISP (sick of AT&T, yes, me too)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:48:57 EDT 2010

Speakeasy is fantastic. They understand Linux. They don't block ports. Their
support (the rare occasion when you need it) speaks with a Washington state
accent. Every person person that answers the technical support line is an
ENGINEER not a script reading newbie.

It will not be the least expensive of everything else being offered. But it
will be worth the extra $3-5/mo it costs over comparable plans elsewhere.

Static IP's are available and they are rolling out full IPv6 support now.

Sure I can get Comcast business Internet for a few $$ less than my 8M down
2M up DSL from Speakeasy, but then I'd have Comcast. Yes it would be faster.
But it would still be Comcast.

In the now 8 years I've used Speakeasy, they have not changed the ToS except
to broaden my access and privileges (which was hard since it was pretty much
"don't spam or try and break into other peoples computer systems using our
network").

Good people with good service at a reasonable price to support both.

Hardware for my area (Tucker) support a bare DSL line.

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Asher Vilensky <ashervilensky at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know that this was discussed plenty of times in the past, but I couldn't
> find it in the archive.  Anyway, while AT&T DSL is the cheapest, they keep
> pulling the plug on me.  They change the modem password (on their side)
> without prior notification to the customer.  They say they're doing it for
> security reasons.  You can be running happy every day, but if you
> disconnect-reconnect with your modem when they changed the password, you're
> toast (they have a web interface to address that, but it didn't work for
> me).  Anyway, I wish to fire them.  Here are my circumstances:
> - I don't have cable in the house nor I intend to order one.
> - I live within the Atlanta city limits (intown).
> - I don't need huge bandwidth.  The  3 MBPS download from the DSL did it ok
> (until people in the house started streaming Netflix movies recently).  So
> anything <10 MBPS would suffice.
>
> What are my options?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Asher

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.