[ale] OT: ISP (sick of AT&T, yes, me too)

Asher Vilensky ashervilensky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 13:19:34 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I know that this was discussed plenty of times in the past, but I couldn't
find it in the archive.  Anyway, while AT&T DSL is the cheapest, they keep
pulling the plug on me.  They change the modem password (on their side)
without prior notification to the customer.  They say they're doing it for
security reasons.  You can be running happy every day, but if you
disconnect-reconnect with your modem when they changed the password, you're
toast (they have a web interface to address that, but it didn't work for
me).  Anyway, I wish to fire them.  Here are my circumstances:
- I don't have cable in the house nor I intend to order one.
- I live within the Atlanta city limits (intown).
- I don't need huge bandwidth.  The  3 MBPS download from the DSL did it ok
(until people in the house started streaming Netflix movies recently).  So
anything <10 MBPS would suffice.

What are my options?

Thanks.

-- Asher