[ale] Voice recognition and synthesis

Frederick N. Brier fnbrier at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 10:05:26 EDT 2010

I installed Edinburgh's Festival (Speech Synthesis System) several
months back and played with it.  It was fun, and my 8-1/2 year old son
and his friend were entertained.  Now I am looking at CMU Sphinx (Voice
Recognition).  I read about Gnome-Voice-Control.  It is a dialogue
system to control the GNOME Desktop.  Has anyone else played with any of
these?  Is there any sort of overall strategy for integrating them into
applications so they are not stepping on each other?  Such as using an
event bus, application focus, or prioritization and queuing of voice
messages to be played?  If so, is there a set of packages that play well
with each other and others to be avoided?

Fred