[ale] OT: Roku

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Aug 2 11:30:42 EDT 2010

I've posted this message on Roku fourms and I'm sure they'll censor it.
I've just given up on that da*n pos box.  I wish I could find something
in the same price range that does what that box does.

------- [cut here ] --------------------------------
I've pretty much given up on my Roku box and am sticking with the Wii
and BD player for Netflix instead.

In the Winter I experienced the standard wireless failure.  Roku
replaced my box and once the replacement arrived the wife wanted to rent
an Amazon video.  It took her 4 hours to watch the movie because of
buffering issues, audio sync issues, and lock ups.  I ran a piece of
CAT-5 to the device and still the same effect.

I've been in constant contact with support since that episode.    Each
time I get a new rep who asks the same questions or asks me to do the
same thing that that last person did.  I never have a dedicated ticket
person.

The box still works but you must define "work".  Sometimes my daughters
can watch something.  Sometimes they can not.  This morning they were
watching Rugrats on Netflix and the issues were just too much.   They
gave up and are now tearing the place up.

When I first got this box it work.  I was excited and enjoyed it.  Now
it is a POS.  I've changed my DNS settings in my router per supports
request.  I've reset the box per supports request.  I've even went into
the hidden menu and lowered the quality settings.  None of these seem to
work.  I've went CAT-5 instead of wireless.  I've changed the channel on
my wireless AP.  I've done everything that I can think of.

My Wii with Netflix does not experience these issues.  My Blue-Ray
player with Netflix does not experience these issues.  Why is the
problem on my end?  I don't think it is.

IMO, I think there is a real hardware issue with these boxes that is not
being disclosed.  Think about it.  Does the wireless failure seem all
too common?  Do you get good video for a few months then it all goes
south?
It is not my network!

Chris