[ale] geezer notice with meeting idea

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 10:59:14 EDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent extension idea! Some of the old gear I have was actually used in
> the creation of art (My SGI Octane was used animating Scooby-Doo in the
> first live movie with Sara MG of Buffy fame). Another SGI I had was used in
> the operation of another kind of art - high energy physics (Brian Pitts has
> it?). I also have some of the (then) high end software (Lightwave, other
> goodies) that I _may_ be able to hack into a running order (at least show
> scenes from Babylon 5).
>
> So adding in the artistic uses of the time period for the hardwre would make
> for a nice hook.
>
> I think my mom's original MAC II still works.
>
> This will take a long time to put it all together but I am all for it and
> willing to put in time to make it happen.
>
> Aaron - it's time to put in a call to Priscilla Smith! :-)
>
> John Heim - can you assist with a section on how computers are used for the
> visually impaired? I think you may be ALE's resident expert on this subject.
> BTW: I'm still stumped on the squashfs problem.
>
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:31 PM, m-aaron-r <aaron at pd.org> wrote:
>>
>> I like this idea a LOT, but I'm thinking it needs to be
>> more than a 2 hour geek gathering of breathing moth
>> ball fumes.
>>
>> I'd like to propose that we make it an ART exhibit.
>>
>> "AnTEques:  The Lost Arts of Technological Innovation"
>>
>> I'm about 90% certain that I could convince my fellow
>> volunteers at the all volunteer Eyedrum Art and Music
>> Gallery to host this kind of installation for a week or
>> three.  It would be an especially easy if sell we focused
>> on presenting particularly creative exhibits of working
>> gadgetry and components that could be enjoyed by
>> patrons interactively.
>>
>> Anything involving reviving these old toys is going to require
>> some investments of time... BUT...  with a little coordinated
>> group effort in making selections of best examples and preparing
>> a 12 or 18 exhibits,  this plan would allow us to reach a much
>> broader audience and make any time we put into it much
>> more worthwhile.
>>
>> If everyone in this group did a little basement archeology,
>> I don't doubt that we could fill the MoMA with interesting
>> modern relics of Ar-tech-stic gadgetry.  We could probably
>> get to about 80% of that goal with just five people: Jim Kinney,
>> Charles Shapiro, Brian Pitts, myself and my techno-trash
>> recycler friend Tim.
>>
>> I'm happy to cary this idea forward if interest is expressed
>> from others here.
>>
>> peace
>> aaron
>>

>> On 2010/04/29, at 10:20 , Jim Kinney wrote:
>>
>> > Having participated in the "strut your geek cred stuff by showing
>> > off the dusty crap you used, or worse, still have" discussion, it
>> > occurred to me why the typical age of attendance at ALE meetings is
>> > rarely including those who cut their computer teeth on Win98.
>> >
>> > We are a bunch of crusty ol' farts and some of us have truly
> [...]

Let me check tonight, but I have some old Walnut Creek Disc that I
think have linux 1.0 image on that can run on the Amiga, 68K Macs
another boxes.
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.