[ale] mounting squashfs

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 28 17:29:04 EDT 2010

Anybody know why I can't mount the squashfs from a grml CD? I'm running
debian squeeze with a custom 2.6.30 kernel.  I thought maybe there was a
difference between the version of squashfs in the ikernel and the one in the
grmll filesystem but not. See below... The file command says the squashfs on
the grml CD is 4.0 and modinfo says the kernel module is 4.0.  Also below is
the output from my mount command. BTW, there is nothing in the logs except a
message that it loaded the squashfs module.

 # file live/grml.squashfs
live/grml.squashfs: Squashfs filesystem, little endian, version 4.0,
17167501593
5 bytes, 142616 inodes, blocksize: 40 bytes, created: Sun Jun 18 18:40:48
1989
# lsmod | grep squashfs
squashfs               19468  0
# modinfo squashfs
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.30-speakup/kernel/fs/squashfs/squashfs.ko
license:        GPL
author:         Phillip Lougher <phillip at lougher.demon.co.uk>
depends:
vermagic:       2.6.30-speakup SMP mod_unload modversions 686
#
# mount -o loop -t squashfs ./live/grml.squashfs  ../loop/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
       dmesg | tail  or so