[ale] Hosed WLAN and Boot Partition

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 08:59:34 EDT 2010

Hey folks,

I'm not sure that this is the correct forum for this, but I thought I'd give
it a shot.  I am dual-booted with Windows Vista Home Premium and Fedora 12
x86_64. I upgraded my windows partition to Windows 7 and, of course, it
hijacked the boot partition and made it the primary.  I totally forgot it
did that kind of stuff. So; Loaded GParted via a CD I made a while ago and
made my boot partition the primary... or so I thought.

When I rebooted, it said "no operating system could be found".  How do I
edit my grub or fix my mbr?

On another note, I ran uLoader to "activate" my Windows 7.  After a reboot
my WLAN isn't working anymore. When I load Windows there's no device driver.
I even downloaded a couple different versions of the driver and it still
won't take it. I ended up formatting the partition and reinstalling Windows
7 three times and I'm back to Windows Vista and STILL, no device driver for
my WLAN.  I booted into Fedora on the LiveCD (via USB) and the WLAN isn't
active in that instance either.

So; my last guess is uLoader loaded a virus or messed with my BIOS in some
way.  Does that sound like the correct assumption? If so, can a simple
flashing-of-the-bios (which I've never done before) fix this issue or should
I just get a PCI WLAN card? Thanks for any clarification.

Here's a rough draft of my partitions.

- sda1 (labeled "data") - 146GB
- sda2 (labeled "windows") - 47 GB
- sda3, ext3 of 200MB << this "should" be my boot partition (I'm uncertain
though)
- sda4, extended
- sda5, lvm of 38 GB << this partition is where Fedora lives

So; in GParted I saw that sda2 was active and marked as boot. I then made
sda3 boot, but no success after rebooting.

--
Marc Ferguson

Registered Linux User #410978
www.fergytech.com | www.digitalalias.net

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"