[ale] a moment of silence please

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun Apr 25 17:11:26 EDT 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com> wrote:
> JoshuaInNippon writes "In a brief press release buried within Sony Japan's
> website, the company announced that they would be ending sales of the classic
> 3.5 inch floppy disk in the country in March of 2011. Sony introduced the
> size to the world in 1981, which saw its heyday in the 1990s. Sony has been
> one of the last major manufacturers to continue shipments of the disk type
> they helped develop, but had ended most worldwide sales in March of this
> year. The company's production of the 3.5 inch floppy ceased in 2009. Sony
> noted the demand, or a lack thereof, as the reason. The company's withdrawal
> is one of the final marks in the slow death of the floppy era."

Being that I *still* use 3.5" floppy disks, this does make me quite sad.

I use them these days as ~900KB encrypted stores (with duplicates!) of
small things like encryption keys and certificates.  Something about
sorting the things and working with them without them being in my
$HOME is nice to me.

  -- Mike