[ale] XFS on Linux - Is it ready for prime time?

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Thu Apr 22 15:49:28 EDT 2010

Not using RAID5/6?  That's where I found myself last year, making arrays
from 1TB SATA drives.  It doesn't mean RAID5/6 is totally dead; it's
just that its preferability regime (hey, new buzzword!) has been pushed
into territory I'm unlikely to inhabit with drives of that size.  But
there are still very fast <<1TB drives where it would be perfectly
reasonable to use RAID5/6 under certain conditions.

SSD drives?  When their sizes get into the 1-2TB range (as I understand
they are), I don't think you're any less likely to accumulate
unrecoverable read errors with them as you would with spinny-parts
drives; they may even be *more* susceptible; both are going to be
susceptible to getting sledgehammered by (mostly) stray neutrons but I
have no idea how that impacts HDDs vs. SSDs in practice (Google
"'Oh-My-God' Particle").