[ale] XFS on Linux - Is it ready for prime time?

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Apr 22 15:27:53 EDT 2010

On 04/22/2010 03:00 PM, Greg Clifton wrote:
> Any feedback on the SSD question? They are inherently more reliable (by
> at least an order of magnitude), no? Read and Write Performance is going
> up as well as capacities, and prices are coming down. A multi TB SSD
> array is probably not something that most of us could afford to park at
> home just yet, but maybe in another 2-5 yrs?

Theoretically an SSD should be very reliable.  In practice I am having
poor luck with my Intel X25-M.

I bought it sometime around November.  It stopped being detected by the
BIOS in my Dell laptop some time in early February.  The replacement
drive just did the same thing, this time in my (way too) shiny new HP
dv8t laptop.  We'll see how long the next one lasts when it gets here...

I'm especially disappointed because I was thinking about adding a second
X25 to the second drive bay in this gigantor laptop and running a RAID 0.

Two failures in six months have me thinking I'd be restoring from backup
would be occurring WAY too often.  The RMA process also has me
questioning whether I even want to own another drive from Intel.  I had
to call them back a second time on each failure to actually get them to
successfully email me an RMA number.  I figured confirming my email
address three separate times on this RMA attempt would be enough...

Pat