[ale] copiers: one more thing to be paranoid about

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Apr 20 13:51:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 13:43 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I have a multifunction HP monster that only lacks hole punching and
> coffee preferences. It does make a decent cheeseckae and can mop
> floors pretty well.

I'll have to beg to differ on the cheesecake bit.  I don't know _anyone_
that can make a cheesecake like Erica can.  It's the only decent (great,
excellent, I'd even go so far as to say heavenly) cheesecake I know of.
Nothing I've ever had in that department even comes close.

Too bad it doesn't do coffee.  That'd be useful!  ;-)

> Since it has fax, picture printing from a USB stick, scan to CIFS LAN
> server, and it takes nearly 10minutes to power up from unplugged, it
> is a prime candidate for internal storage.

I don't think the one I was talking about takes USB input, though I've
never actually even thought to look for that.  It does permit you to
upload a PS3 (PostScript 3!) document, though, and it will print that
with the default settings.  Sadly, the "default settings" in that office
environment do not include either duplexing or stapling.

If it didn't have a five-digit price tag, I'd *so* get one.  It's
insanely useful to have a printer that can staple duplexed 100 page
print jobs!  For that matter, the hole-punching ability would make it so
much more convenient for me to be able to run off a copy of a book
before I send it to Lulu.  Call me crazy, but while I love to typeset
and all that using Emacs and XeLaTeX and high quality fonts, nothing
beats proofreading on paper, IMHO.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child