[ale] copiers: one more thing to be paranoid about

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Apr 20 12:50:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 08:13 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> I'm curious about this.  Must be a pretty large drive.  Think about
> it.
> Just last night, someone copied a document for me that I know is at
> least 200 pages. Further, why would it be necessary to retain all
> such
> copies?  Certainly it must purge older documents to make room for
> newer
> ones?

Yes, though with compression, those documents can compress pretty well.
I know at least one copy machine that does scan-to-PDF, and it can get
50 pages in about 800KiB, depending on the amount of whitespace on the
page.

Extending that out and assuming that such numbers are close to the
average, that would mean that a page works out to about 16KiB, and for a
40 GB drive that would mean the ability to store (not counting the
filesystem overhead and metadata) 2.6 million pages.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child