[ale] Ubuntu One music store is a disaster!

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Mon Apr 19 21:10:55 EDT 2010

On 04/19/2010 08:54 PM, Jim Philips wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM, David Tomaschik <david at tuxteam.com
> <mailto:david at tuxteam.com>> wrote:
>
>     As stated in the relevant bug [1], you can contact 7digital
>     customer service for a refund if you'd like to.  I'm currently
>     waiting on a half-dozen tracks or so, and I'll be waiting until
>     the issue is resolved (or about another week) for my songs.  It is
>     a beta service, I signed up for it knowing it was a beta service,
>     and betas have bugs.  I can't think of a good mechanism for fully
>     testing the U1MS without having paying customers, unless it were
>     limited to free Creative Commons music or something similar.  I
>     will say that I feel they could've worked on the bug somewhat
>     faster, but it looks like it'll be resolved soon.  I intend to
>     continue shopping at U1MS to support Canonical (and the prices and
>     selection are excellent).
>
>     [1]
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store/+bug/551755
>
> Well, I can think of a very easy way they could have tested it: a
> private beta where Canonical employees and associates pounded it with
> transactions. I have worked in financial services since about 1995 and
> I have seen lots of ways to test transactional services before
> releasing them to the general public.

Agreed, that's a possibility, and I suspect they did that, but even that
can miss bugs.  For example, 7digital has different stores for US and EU
customers.  Perhaps (and I'm not saying it is) the problem is limited to
US customers and all the Canonical employees who tested are all locate
in the UK.  Yes, it's a flaw in testing, but it's just an example of how
even with large-scale testing you can miss things.

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
Moderator, LinuxQuestions.org