[ale] OT: WD "Advanced Format" and "Green Drives"

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Apr 9 17:34:42 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 15:57 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> I did a wiring project at DHL some time back. I observed their
> handling crew would throw the boxes tagged "fragile" _harder_ than the
> others that were not marked. If they heard tinkeling sounds ofterwards
> it was a source of much hilarity.
>
> FedEx drove a forklift fork through a server case I shipped out. When
> it was delivered, they positioned the boxes to hide the damage and ran
> back to the truck. 2 layers of 300lb cardboard, 4 inches of
> polystyrene foam, another layer of 200lb cardboard and the metal case
> side all had a gash 5 inches wide and 1/2 inch tall. Mobo was dead as
> was one cpu and 2 out the 6 DIMMs.
>
> I have since designed a hard-sided server shipping case with internal
> shock mounts that should let a server survive a 6 foot drop.

I guess that's a good example of "if you need it done right, you have to
do it yourself."  I'll often send things to Toledo and I try to queue
such things for my next trip up there, especially for technology or
things of that nature.  I don't really like the idea of things getting
damaged in transit, even with insurance.  Insurance doesn't fix the time
that it takes to do things over...

	--- Mike