[ale] WRT54G2 wifi router troubles

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:20:16 EDT 2010

Hey Richard.

Yeah, I could see the SSID on her Dell, and on my Ubuntu laptop.  The
dell just indicated "Authenticating" indefinitely.  My laptop was
indefinitely trying to establish a DHCP connection -- the syslog
didn't give me too many hints about authorization. As I mentioned, the
Nokia N810 ( running Maemo ) saw the AP and connected without a hitch.
 To me the interesting part was that undoing and redoing the auth
seemed to fix the trouble.

BTW I tried to change the handedness of the mouse on the Dell Netbook
through the GUI but it didn't actually change anything.  I dunno
anything about the version of winders on it.

Now that I think hard on it, the only thing I might do different is to
set the IP connection between the dsl modem and the wifi router to be
static rather than use DHCP.  I did this on my own network when I
discovered that I had to turn my dsl modem on before my firewall in
order to connect. Perhaps that's the trouble that the MCSE goof is
really trying to fix.

-- CHS