[ale] WRT54G2 wifi router troubles

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Apr 8 18:27:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 16:24 -0400, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Of course you did the wrong thing – now he’ll refuse to honor his work
> since you “interfered” and will blame anything that goes wrong in
> future on her laptop on you.   “Well you see the reason your hard
> drive failed is because of the extra work caused by not doing the pass
> through…” :-)

That is pretty much the case.  I cannot count how many times I have been
blamed for a problem that is not my fault.  For example---at one of my
client's offices, I installed a system running Ubuntu Server that
handles a few different things---among them, the Internet connection and
iptables to handle IP masq and port forwarding and blocking and various
other tasks.

A couple of weeks later, a UPS (that the system isn't even hooked to)
started to alarm with the message "battery needs replacing".  I was told
that this was somehow my problem.  In reality, it was the MCSE's
problem.  But he wanted to try to pawn it off on me because I changed
the network's setup.

It wouldn't be so bad if the people who carry certifications in
Microsoft systems actually had a clue what they were doing.  There *are*
people who know what they are doing on Windows systems and have not a
clue about grown-up operating systems, and when you can find them, it's
really a Good Thing.  Sadly, though, I seem to know more about Windows
workstations and servers than an MCSE, and I don't use Windows
regularly---I just do my homework when I have to fix a problem with it.

Even sadder, I probably cannot don't know enough of the "right" things
to be able to get an MCSE.  And if Microsoft's tests are anything like
CompTIA's (or at least, CompTIA's tests circa 2001), you have to know an
awful lot of irrelevant details that are subject to change over time and
are best not committed to memory in the first place.

	--- Mike