[ale] OT: camera LCD repair

drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Tue Apr 6 12:05:01 EDT 2010

It is going to cost $150 (more or less) to repair the camera --
assuming the part is readily available.
I'd suggest you toss it and get a new one.

As a retired pro, I'd suggest that you look for a replacement made
by a company known for making cameras (Nikon, Minolta, Fuji, Cannon,
Pentax, etc.) and strongly consider one with an optical viewfinder.
It is far easier to keep the camera steady when it is mashed against
your face (with your eye at the viewfinder) than it is holding the
camera at arm's length to see the LCD on the back.

It's a camera, after all, and the lens is the most critical element,
regardless of the advertising hoopla. Camera makers do a lot better
job making lenses than makers of consumer electronics or printers.

Sean