[ale] boot, grub, etc

Asher Vilensky ashervilensky at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:20:59 EDT 2010

I made a mistake and trying to fix it:

1. I have a Gateway laptop with two partitions:  Vista, Mint 7. That was
pretty much the entire disk) The default boot (via grub) was Vista.

2.  I tried to install Mac OSX on it.  The installer didn't suggest any
partition or manual partition.  So I entered Disk Utilities and...deleted
the Mint partition.  The installer still didn't suggest any action/option
with regard to partition.  It just sat there with a blank partition box.

3.  I thought that maybe it didn't really delete the partition.  Tried to
boot with no CD.  Sure enough, grub error.  Computer wouldn't boot from hard
drive.

4.  I booted Mint Live CD.  It was true, the previous Mint partition was
still there.  Got rid of it in hope the OSX installer would see free disk
space.  It didn't.

OK, screw OSX for the moment.  How do I tell the computer to boot Vista
again?

-- Asher