[ale] SCO boot.

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 28 12:17:20 EDT 2009

Thanks.

The problem is I'm not allowed to destroy the existing install.  I had a
set of SCO install media laying around her from a previously inherited
box but it was version 3 not the Open Server stuff so I was afraid to
try anything with it.

Back in the dawn of time (a/k/a before 1996) I actually worked on SCO
3.2 4.2 and earlier (even Xenix).  I often loaded BTLD for new servers
(mostly IBM PS/2 and NCR microchannel boxes).  I just didn't know if DPT
SCSI was one built into the default media or one that required a BTLD.
I have vague recollections of seeing DPT in installs so thought it might
be a default.

Taking a backup would require 1) A way to get on the system in the first
place.   2)  A backup medium.

My main issue is number 1 - As of yet no one has provided us with any
passwords and we're not confident anyone ever will.

At this point I'm just trying to hack the root account to get into the
box to see what is there.   It boots find from the drives.  If I could
login to it I could create my own boot/root floppies.

Can you tell me anything about the FS type used on your SCO box?  Is it
something Linux would recognize?  I can look at making a Linux boot
floppy and try to find a dpt driver for same if it isn't in the default
kernel/initrd.