[ale] SCO Open Server 5 boot root floppies?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 28 10:24:22 EDT 2009

Does anyone happen to still have a SCO system with Open Server 5 on it
that would be willing to create boot/root floppies I could borrow?

We have a need to try to explore a SCO server we may be inheriting and
the CD drive was kaput so my Linux and Backtrack CDs weren't of much
help.

>From boot messages it appears the server has DPT SCSI and VisionFS
(which I'm assuming is the filesystem type but may be wrong).

I'm going to investigate Linux on floppy (unfortunately I didn't have
one with me when I examined it) but am not sure it would have a driver
for the DPT SCSI or would recognize the filesystem.

Also since I need to be able to boot from these to try to mount the
filesystems I'd need to know the root password for the floppies so of
course you'd need to make it a temporary password before creating the
floppies.

Alternatively if anyone KNOWS (not guesses) another way to hack root on
SCO I'd appreciate hearing about it.   From what I can find on line the
only sure way to do it is with boot/root floppies.

TIA