[ale] Let's Party!

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Sep 25 13:19:07 EDT 2009

> As the two dominant desktop distro's are currently Ubuntu and Fedora,
> there would need to be a solid mix of both. The actual desktop
> environment is a 40/40/20 split between Gnome/KDE/XFCE so all three
> environments running on both platforms. Maybe some specialty rigs for
> specific tasks like Blender, Cinellera, and sound processing with
> audacity, etc.

You really geeked out. Options confuse normal humans,
I'd like to attend YOUR party... I was thinking
of showing off a couple of Ubuntu 9.04/9.10 laptops and netbooks
setup for average users, demonstrating how easy mundane things
like web browsing, e-mail, openoffice, photo/camera management (not Gimp
level) and such are.

Success story: The daughter ( a cute ditzy journalism major ) of a very
good friend of mine needed a laptop for school, I gave her an old mundane
HP laptop (w/1gb of ram) with Ubuntu 9.04 on it. She struggled a bit with
Gimp for a few days, she takes a LOT of pictures.. but finally got it
figured out for what she needed. She's learned to love it: No
infections/virus problems, it just workes, and the best thing:

She's met a nice young man at college who's opening line was:
      "Wow, you are running Linux?!?"