[ale] Central git repository with multiple users

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 18:38:21 EDT 2009

Hey all,

I need to host a git repository that several people will have commit access to. I can see two ways of doing this, and would appreciate input.

First way is to create user accounts on the server, set their shells to git-shell, and use groups to give write access.

Second way is to use 'gitosis'(1) to manage users and repos without creating individual user accounts on the server.

Has anyone ever heard of or used gitosis?

Also, I realize GitHub is a great solution, but this needs to be hosted locally.

Andrew

(1) http://eagain.net/gitweb/?p=gitosis.git;a=blob;f=README.rst;hb=master