[ale] Rebooting remotely without a usable /

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Mon Sep 21 09:59:52 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 09:46 -0400, Matt Rideout wrote:
> Good thinking! It's running 64-bit Intel Xeon MP 3.66GHz CPUs.
> Nothing
> located on the disk that isn't already loaded into RAM is usable, so
> compiling on the box isn't an option. I wouldn't be able to scp a
> binary
> over, or execute the commands to mount a memory filesystem in the
> traditional sense either, since those would access files on the
> drive.
> Would there be anyway to make that syscall purely from memory?

Hrm.  Possibly.  You can't ssh over a statically linked binary and use
that?  At least that way you'd get around the dynamic linker.  Just add
the -static flag on the host you build on.  If your system is running a
64-bit kernel and userland, I can create a static binary for you and
email it to you.

What do you have in memory?  Any interpreter processes, like Python or
anything like that, which would be able to make syscalls?  Anything that
would be able to assemble code in memory and jump to it?

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo