[ale] You should be using SSH ControlMaster. Was: SSH Tunnel and Agent Question

Matt Rideout mrideout at windserve.com
Mon Sep 21 05:56:16 EDT 2009

Paul Cartwright wrote, On 09/21/2009 05:30 AM:
> On Mon September 21 2009, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I'm used to the apparent hangs when I have an X application that I
>> run remotely, and exit the shell and find that I forgot to also close
>> the X application.  I don't ever assume it's actually hung anymore, I
>> assume I did something stupid that caused the underlying connection to
>> remain open.  :)
>>

> what's the difference between doing it this way & remote desktop?
> to be honest, I've never been able to do remote desktop, but I'd LIKE to (
> vacation coming up).
>
> from far away, what is the best way to get into my box to run X apps, like
> kontact??

If you want full desktop sharing, try an NX client and server. Those
generally run a lot more smoothly than VNC. If you just want to be able
to run individual X apps remotely:

1. Make sure you have a running X instance on your local system (X11
under OS X, xming under Windows)
2. Make sure that the SSH server's /etc/ssh/sshd_config allows for X11
sessions. There should be an "X11Forwarding yes" line
3. Connect to the remote system with X11 forwarding enabled on the
client side via -X, ie "ssh -X me at servername"
4. Start up the apps that you want to run from the command line, ie
"xterm &"