[ale] Question about awk

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 10:24:13 EDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> awk -F '[\\[\\]]' '/Recipient address rejected/ {print $10}'
>
> Bravo!  :)
>
> For fields that are near the end, it's sometimes more readable or
> convenient to use the "NF" variable for number of fields, like this:
>
>  bash$ echo one two three four | awk '{print $(NF-1)}'
>  three
>
> Not sure if that's helpful here, but I like that awk feature.
>
> --
>  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
>  http://noserose.net/e/

Got the information I want, do I use the string like this?

awk -F '[\\[\\]]' '/Recipient address rejected/ {print $10}' mail.log

openSUSE -- http://en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador
openSUSE Member
skype -- terrorpup
twitter -- terrorpup
friendfeed -- http://friendfeed.com/terrorpup

Come join me at the Atlanta Linux Fest, September 19th, 2009
http://atlantalinuxfest.org/.