[ale] is there a ncurses file manager that supports 'toggling'?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Mon Sep 14 13:46:59 EDT 2009

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Preston Boyington
<preston.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember many years ago that I had a DOS program that allowed me to
> highlight a file/directory and then select it with my spacebar.  Once
> all my selections had been made I could move/copy/delete the selected
> files.  It was quick and convenient.
>
> The (Debian) server I'm using has no GUI and I've been using Midnight
> Commander, but being able to toggle multiple files would be a big help
> with the sorting.
>
> Anyone know if this is a feature in a ncurses program?

Emacs uses curses when X11 isn't available or when given the
"-nw" option.  Emacs has a "dired" mode that allows one to browse
directories.  In dired, the "m" key selects ("marks") a file, and the
"u" key unmarks it.  Once you have marked a set of files, you can
run arbitrary commands with "!" or do things like copying ("C"),
moving ("R"), and deleting ("D").

It's true that emacs can do more than just browse directories,
but that doesn't mean dired is a bad filesystem browser!  :)

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>